Alex Brasky | @BataviasBest
Sunday, February 11, 2018 | BataviasBest.org
Last night at the Section V Wrestling State Qualifier two local wrestlers finished atop the podium in their respective weight class, as Nick Young of Alexander, and Josh Barber of Batavia/Attica each punched their ticket to the NYSPHSAA Wrestling Division II Championships.
For Young, his trip to the NYSPHSAA Wrestling Championships will not be his first – as the Trojans’ wrestler was selected as a Wild Card recipient for last season’s state tournament, when he turned his bid into a NYSPHSAA Semifinal berth at 126 lbs.
This season, he won’t have to wait for a Wild Card bid, as his first place finish at 132 lbs at this weekend’s Section V Wrestling State Qualifier will surely earn him a favorable seed at the state championships. In the 132 lbs Finals on Saturday night, Young overcame a quality opponent in Le Roy’s Andrew Englerth, whom he defeated by a 7-2 decision. Prior to his win over Englerth, the Trojans’ middleweight pinned all three opponents on his way to the 132 lbs Finals.
Barber’s trip to the 285 Finals was disparate from that of Young, as the Batavia/Attica heavyweight had a few difficult matches before sticking Avon/Geneseo’s Isaiah Chisom in the title match. This is Barber’s first season as a varsity wrestler, after an injury kept him from the mat a season ago.
In addition to the two local champs, there were several other local wrestlers who also found their way to the podium over the weekend:
- Travis Kauffman (Batavia/Attica) 4th place – 99 lbs
- Isaac Crane (Cal-Mum) 2nd place – 106 lbs
- Mitch Gaiser (Alexander) 4th place – 113 lbs
- Tristyn Moyer (Holley/Kendall) 6th place – 113 lbs
- Chase Stinson (Lyndonville) 5th place – 120 lbs
- Josh Englerth (Le Roy) 3rd place – 126 lbs
- Andrew Englerth (Le Roy) 2nd place – 132 lbs
- Dan Burns (Alexander) 4th place – 138 lbs
- Chad Toal (Byron-Bergen) 4th place – 145 lbs
- Cade Aina (Holley/Kendall) 6th place – 145 lbs
- Mason Compton (Batavia/Attica) 2nd place – 152 lbs
- Cameron Brumsted (Byron-Bergen) 4th place – 152 lbs
- Blake Pariso (Batavia/Attica) 3rd place – 160 lbs
- Jared Fregoe (Byron-Bergen) 5th place – 160 lbs
- Dylan Spellan (Holley/Kendall) 6th place – 170 lbs
- Mike Khomitch (Byron-Bergen) 4th place – 285 lbs
Once again, it was an incredibly successful weekend for local grapplers at the Section V Wrestling State Qualifier. Stay tuned for a preview of the NYSPHSAA Wrestling Championships – which is set to be posted later this week.
Other articles you may like: